Does Target accept Apple Pay? (Updated in 2022!)
With more than 380 million users worldwide, Apple Pay is one of the most popular payment methods. On the other hand, Target has more than 1,900 locations and 368,000 employees. The American retailer is known for its affordable groceries, clothing, electronics, furniture, and more. That being said, it only makes sense that shoppers want to pay with Apple Pay when they’re at Target.
Which begs the question, does Target accept Apple Pay? Read on to discover the answer to this question and learn how to use payment methods.
Does Target accept Apple Pay?
Yes, Target does use Apple Pay through their app and in their stores. So the next time you shop at Target, you can always check out with Apple Pay. Look out for the RIFD symbol on the checkout reader, which indicates that contactless payments are accepted.
To learn more about Target and how to pay, keep reading.
How do I use Apple Pay at Target?
The first step to checking out at Target with Apple Pay is to set up Apple Pay on your Apple Watch or iPhone. Follow the setup instructions below:
- Go to the “Settings” section and click “Wallet & Apple Pay”.
- Select “Add Card” and press Continue to select your preferred payment method
- Add your debit or credit card details manually, or hold your iPhone over the credit card until it reads the number on it.
- Agree to Apple’s terms and complete all necessary credit card verification steps
- You can now use Apple Pay because your card is now in your Apple Wallet app.
Setting up Apple Pay on Apple Watch requires a linked iPhone.
- Open the Apple Watch app with a linked iPhone
- Click on “Wallet & Apple Pay”.
- Click “Add Card” and follow the instructions to add your credit card to Apple Pay on Apple Watch
Checkout at Target with Apple Pay:
- Double-click the button to the right of the watch face
- enter your password
- Put your Apple Watch on the contactless payment reader and wait for the payment to complete
How to use Apple Pay with Target on iPhone
To check out with Apple Pay with your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Double-click the right button of the iPhone
- Enter your password or verify your fingerprint
- Hold your iPhone over the contactless point-of-sale reader. This is the machine you usually insert your credit card into.
- Continue to hold your iPhone until you hear a ping, a green checkmark on the payment reader, or a checkmark with the word “Done” on the iPhone screen.
- After receiving the confirmation of successful payment, you can log out
Where is Apple Pay accepted?
By 2022, Apple Pay will be available at more than 2.5 million retail stores in the US (85% of all US merchants). Some retailers that accept Apple Pay include:
- Retail store: CVS Pharmacy, Petco, Staples, Walgreens, Big Lot, Best Buy, Apple, Office Depot and Office Max.
- Grocery Store: Costco, Albertsons, Aldi, Food Lion, Whole Foods, Lucky Supermarkets, Food Lion, Sprouts and Giant Eagle.
- restaurant: Chipotle, Firehouse Subs, Johnny Rockets, White Castle, Pizza Hut, Johnny Rockets, Popeye’s, Baskin Robbins, Taco Bell and more.
- Gas station: Texaco, Chevron, Texaco, Raceway, Wawa and Cumberland Farms to name a few.
You may also be interested in: Does Target Price Match?
Which apps can you use Apple Pay on:
Here is a list of apps and websites that accept Apple Pay:
- Group buy
- Dunkin’ Donuts
Why does Target accept Apple Pay?
There are many reasons why Target is using Apple Pay as a payment method. For starters, it’s much safer than using a prepaid, debit or credit card. That’s because it requires Touch ID, Face ID, or a passcode before making any purchases. Plus, Apple Pay is fast, doesn’t require internet, and you won’t incur any extra charges to use it.
Where can I use Apple Pay?
Unfortunately, while Apple Pay is the easiest payment method for shoppers, some stores still don’t accept it. 15% of US retail stores do not accept this payment method.
Below is a list of some retail chains that do not accept Apple Pay
- Sam’s Club
- Guitar Center
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
- The Home Depot
How do you check if a store accepts Apple Pay?
Knowing if a store accepts Apple Pay can be challenging. You can always check with the cashier or do an online search, but either way, it’s still a daunting task. good news? Apple makes it easier to check stores that use Apple Pay.
All you have to do is open the Apple Maps app on your iPhone. After that, search for the store’s location and navigate to the “Helpful Information” section below the store’s website address. You can easily tell the store accepts Apple Pay if you see the Apple Pay logo or a check mark near “Accept Apple Pay.”
What payment methods does Target take?
If you shop at Target, you can use any of the following payment methods at checkout:
- Costco Citi Credit Card
- American Express
- Discover Cards
- target red card
- ATM Card
- target gift card
- travel check
- SNAP EBT Card
In addition to Apple Pay, shoppers can pay with their Android phones using Samsung Pay digital wallets or Google Pay. Additionally, Target Red Card holders will receive a 5% discount on every purchase they make at Target.
How do you check out with Apple Pay through the Target App?
If you’re using the Target app, this is your lucky day, as it accepts payments for online purchases using Apple Pay. Follow the steps below to check out in the app:
- Open the target application. If not, you can download it from the App Store.
- Log in to your account, create an account or click “Continue as Guest”. If you choose to “Continue as a Guest”, you must be logged into your account before checkout.
- Choose your destination
- The app notifies you if you can make contactless purchases locally
- Choose what you want to buy and choose your preferred method of receiving
- Click your cart
- Tap the black “Apple Pay” button in the bottom right corner of the screen
- Follow Apple Pay tips and enjoy your order
For the convenience of its millions of users, Target accepts Apple Pay at many of its retail locations.
Other payment methods used by the retail giant include Visa, MasterCard and SNAP EBT cards, among others. If it’s your first time shopping at Target or using Apple Pay, don’t worry.
Checking out with Apple Pay when shopping is relatively simple. If you encounter any difficulties, Target’s experienced team will be more than happy to help.