Does Grubhub accept EBT? (What to know!)
Grubhub has enabled many people to enjoy home delivery for a long time. When ordering on Grubhub, you may need to choose from a number of payment methods available.
For those who use Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT), read on to find out if Grubhub accepts this payment method.
Does Grubhub accept EBT?
No, Grubhub does not accept EBT payments. Only retailers offering raw food will accept EBT payments. Food delivery companies such as Grubhub, UberEats, DoorDash and Postmates do not accept payments for these benefits.
Those enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) can receive state agency food benefits through an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card.
The federal state recharges this card on a monthly or any other agreed-upon period for low-income households and individuals.
As with any other debit card, you can use your EBT card to buy certain food items at authorized retail stores across the United States.
Can you use EBT for grocery delivery?
You can use your EBT card for grocery delivery at select stores. Customers can use EBT SNAP to pay for online grocery orders in the US through Instacart. You can order strictly from participating stores in select states.
Where to use an EBT/SNAP card
In most cases, you can only use EBT benefits to pay for raw meals in retail stores. Some retail stores accept EBT cards as a payment method for online grocery delivery. A valid EBT card can pay for all or part of the order. These stores include:
- Save the Bazaar
- lion eater
- price chopper
- Safeway and Albertson
- Market 32
- Lucky supermarket
- Wholesale of BJ
- Market Bistro
How to pay online with EBT
You can pay for your online order in the following ways:
- Make sure you have an Instacart profile
- Click on Account Settings and add EBT card as payment method
- If you want to buy other items that are not eligible for EBT SNAP, please add another payment method
- Add your zip code to view all EBT participating stores in your location
- Select EBT eligible items and add them to your cart
- If you are sure of the items in your cart, please proceed to the payment
- Choose whether you prefer pickup or home delivery
What can you buy with EBT/SNAP?
You can use SNAP benefits to buy the following foods for your family:
- dairy products, such as soft serve ice cream and milk
- green vegetables and fruits
- grains such as beans and bread
- Fish, poultry and meat
- Non-alcoholic beverages, such as bottled water.
- You can also use your EBT card when buying seeds and plants such as tomato seeds
Things you can’t buy with EBT/SNAP
You cannot use EBT/SNAP benefits to buy the following:
- non-food products
- All alcoholic beverage products
- any tobacco product
- bodybuilding supplements, such as medicines and vitamins
- Any hot or ready-to-eat food in the store.
- Any pre-prepared food or meal that can be served in a store unless under a SNAP/RMP program
Does Instacart accept EBT SNAP?
Yes, Instacart accepts EBT SNAP benefits. Low-income individuals receiving SNAP benefits through EBT can link their cards to Instacart. They are available in select stores across the US.
Who can use EBT SNAP on Instacart?
The U.S. government, through the Department of Agriculture, launched Instacart as a pilot program. They linked EBT SNAP with Instacart and used it to pay for online orders.
Today, customers in all states except Louisiana, Alaska, and Montana can use EBT on Instacart at any participating store.
How to Check for Eligible EBT SNAP on Instacart
You can check for EBT SNAP eligibility on Instacart in a variety of ways:
- Follow the steps below to allow EBT SNAP items to be displayed when making in-app purchases:
- Click on your Instacart account and log in
- go to account settings
- Select SNAP EBT Information
- Click the slider and open EBT eligibility by item.
- When searching for items to order in the Instacart app, you can filter them and select only EBT-eligible items. You can do this by:
- Select EBT Eligibility
- Select only projects eligible for EBT.
If you are browsing the home page, click on a specific item and check if the item is eligible for EBT SNAP. Every time you click on all EBT SNAP eligible items, they will have an EBT label.
- You can also confirm the eligibility of items directly from your shopping cart. Before selecting an item, you can check its name. If it is EBT SNAP eligible, you will see EBT below the name.
Want to learn more about Grubhub? Check out our related posts to find out when GrubHub will stop delivering, if GrubHub will mark up, and how to use cash value on GrubHub.
With the advancement of technology, you can easily order food online and receive it at your doorstep.
While the Grubhub platform does not accept EBT payments, there are several other ways to pay for your order.
For those with an EBT card, this guide should also help you understand what you can buy with SNAP benefits.