Do Walmart’s prices match their products? (Updated in 2022)
Walmart Inc. is an American multinational retail store giant that operates a chain of grocery stores, budget department stores and hypermarkets in Bentonville, Arkansas. As of March 2022, Walmart had approximately 10,593 stores in 24 different countries around the world.
Walmart has established itself as the go-to brand for the lowest prices, and its price-matching system is a major contributor to its market dominance.
Does Walmart price match?
Yes, they did! Starting in 2022, Walmart will price-match items and products online and in-store. However, Walmart’s price matching policy can be a bit complicated with some nuances like flash sales, online price matching, etc. Don’t worry, as we’ll explore all of these areas in this article.
What is price matching?
Price matching is when a store (e.g., Walmart) returns cash to its customers when they find the same product (size, model, color, etc.) sold at a lower price at a competitor store (e.g., Lowe’s).
For example, you buy a set of patio furniture from Walmart for $399. Next week, you find a competitor’s store selling the exact same furniture set for $369. If your purchase complies with Walmart’s price matching policy, they will refund you the difference, in this case $30.
While Walmart will lose revenue, it’s actually a very effective strategy most retailers use to retain customers. Other retailers participating in price matching include Target, Kohl’s and Home Depot.
How Does Walmart Price Matching Work?
Walmart Price Matching in Walmart Stores
If you happen to be shopping at a Walmart store and come across a product with a lower price on the online store, you can pick up the item and take it to a Walmart store representative to determine if the item is eligible for price matching.
A Walmart representative will then cross-reference the item with Walmart’s products and its competing sites, and if you qualify for a price match, you’ll get a partial refund!
Walmart Online Price Match
If you stumble upon a lower price on any item in a Walmart store at another online store, you can contact Walmart and they will give you a lower price.
You can contact them in two ways:
- Walmart.com Customer Service use blue contact us button
- their landline is 1(800) 966-6546 (Walmart Helpline)
Once you contact a Walmart representative, Walmart will review the online retailer and its base prices and cross-reference the item on Walmart.com and its competing sites.
What is Walmart’s price matching policy?
For products in any physical Walmart store
If you prefer to use Walmart’s price matching policy in your store, Walmart promises to match the price of any product advertised on Walmart.com, subject to certain limitations.
Here are the terms of Walmart’s price matching policy:
- The product must be in stock on Walmart.com at the time of requesting a price match
- The price of the product must be verified and must be the same item; size, model, quantity, brand and color.
- If a Walmart employee prompts a supervisor for approval, the supervisor must verify the price and availability of the same product through the Walmart.com store terminal. The price will only match after that.
- Walmart reserves the right to limit the quantity of items to one customer per item per day.
- Price matching is not available at Walmart stores in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.
Walmart does not match prices that meet the following criteria:
- Walmart.com prices for special events such as clearance, rollback, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, or limited-time sales.
- Product prices for Walmart marketplace retailers or competitor marketplace retailers, third-party sellers, sites requiring membership, and auction sites.
- Anything in Bundles Offers, Mail-in Offers, Instant Rebates, Purchases with Gift Cards, Buy One Get One, Discounts with no specific price.
- Prices at other Walmart or Neighborhood Market stores
- Prices advertised by competitors.
For products on the Walmart.com online store
For any product purchased on Walmart’s main website, they will be matched against the lower price of the same in-stock product offered by select online retailers. But like a physical policy, there are certain criteria that need to be met before a price match can be required.
Here are the terms in the table below:
- Products must be of the exact same type, version and model
- The product must be in stock on the online retailer’s website and on Walmart.com at the time of the price match request
- You can only exchange one item per customer per day
- Items not in stock have no rain check
- This item must be sold and fulfilled by one of the following online retailers:
|chewing net||Dix Sporting Goods Network||Dollar General Website||Family Dollar Net|
Walmart.com will not match prices involving:
- Drop in price on products purchased from Walmart.com
- Orders to specific customers in Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico
- Prices from Marketplace or third-party sellers
- Discounts or sales of any kind (including clearance sales, limited time/special time/limited sales, Black Friday and Cyber Week, or other special event sales)
- Prices that cannot be determined independently of other items, such as fees, shipping
- Bundle offers, rebates, coupons, mail-in offers, offers including financing
- Requires a minimum purchase price
- In-store price
- The price is wrong
That said, Walmart’s price matching policy is fairly broad. We strongly recommend showing the price to a store representative and they will handle the rest.
To sum it all up, Walmart does have an online and brick-and-mortar price matching system if the products are identical in make, model, size, color, and quantity. These items must be based on their base price with no additional discounts or paywalls. Walmart does not expand price matching for customers in certain regions such as Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico.
When you try it, let us know your experience price matches. happy shopping!