Does the Amazon Fire Stick need Wifi? (used without Wifi, built in + other FAQs)
The Amazon Fire Stick is a media player that allows customers to connect regular televisions to the internet, providing access to streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu.
However, some customers may wonder if they need a wifi connection for the Amazon Fire Stick to work. If you want to find out, read on to see what I found!
Does the Amazon Fire Stick need Wifi?
The Amazon Fire Stick requires a wifi connection as it does not contain a pluggable ethernet port. Therefore, customers cannot operate the Fire Stick with a DSL or satellite connection. The Fire Stick does not require any additional accessories to work and enables the TV to function like a Smart TV.
If you want to learn more about the Fire Stick needs wifi, and other frequently asked questions related to the Amazon Fire Stick, keep reading this article!
Can I use Fire Stick without Wifi?
In order to use the Amazon Fire Stick, customers need a stable wifi connection to function properly.
Since the Fire Stick does not have an Ethernet cable, it is not possible to use the Fire Stick to access the Internet via satellite, DSL, and other similar connections.
Therefore, if customers want to buy a Fire Stick, they must first install wifi at home. It is recommended to buy a stable connection to avoid streaming lag.
Does the Fire Stick have built-in Wi-Fi?
Although the Amazon Fire Stick requires a wifi connection, it comes with its own wifi transmitter.
So customers are better able to connect their Fire Stick to the internet and don’t need to buy an extra transmitter to make it work.
Does the Fire Stick have Bluetooth?
In addition to the built-in wifi transmitter, the Fire Stick can also be paired with Bluetooth.
In order to set up a Bluetooth connection on their stick, customers can do the following:
- Turn on your Fire TV and scroll to Settings
- Select the controller and bluetooth device, then click “Other bluetooth devices” from the drop-down menu
- Click “Add Bluetooth Device” and your Fire TV will begin scanning for Bluetooth devices within range
- Once the device you want appears on the TV, tap it and the pairing process will begin
- Once the device has successfully connected to your Fire TV, you will receive an on-screen notification explaining the pairing
Do I need a Smart TV for Fire Stick?
Customers considering a Fire Stick don’t need a Smart TV, as the Fire Stick offers the same functionality as most Smart TVs include apps.
So customers may only find the Fire Stick valuable if they connect it to a TV model that doesn’t include a smart app.
Can I use Amazon Fire Stick with my computer?
The Amazon Fire Stick only works with TVs and devices that include an HDMI input port, most computers no longer have it.
Therefore, most computers will not be able to support the Fire Stick.
However, if a customer has a movie or TV show saved on their computer and wants to watch it on their TV, they can cast their computer to Fire TV by doing the following:
Using the Windows 10 mirror:
- First, make sure your Fire Stick and computer are both connected to the same wifi network.
- Next, scroll to Settings on your Fire TV or press and hold the home button to access
- From Settings, select Mirroring Options.
- Select the notification that pops up on the Windows 10 taskbar and click the Connect icon.
- Once Windows detects the Amazon Fire Stick, click on it and your laptop screen should now appear on the Fire TV.
Using Plex (for computers not using Windows 10):
- Download and install the Plex app on your laptop.
- Set up Plex using the instructions in the installation wizard, add the required media, and configure the server.
- On the Amazon Fire Stick, download and install the Plex app.
- Run Plex on your laptop, then open it on your Fire TV.
- Once both apps are running, Fire TV should detect the Plex app from your computer and enable you to play any media on the app!
How do I set up my Amazon Fire Stick?
In order to set up an Amazon Fire Stick to a TV, customers can do the following:
- Plug the Fire Stick power adapter into your stick and the other end into a nearby outlet
- With the stick turned on, plug it directly into the HDMI port on the back of your TV.
- Turn the TV to the same HDMI channel that the Fire Stick is plugged into.
- Add batteries to your normal TV remote and it should automatically pair with the stick
- Connect the TV stick to your wifi network and follow the on-screen instructions to register your device to your Amazon account.
If you want to learn more about shopping on Amazon, you can also check out our related posts on what is the Amazon Fire Stick, the Amazon Fire Stick Warranty, and the Amazon Fire Tablet Warranty.
The Amazon Fire Stick requires a wifi connection as it does not come with an ethernet cable for DSL and other internet connections.
However, the Fire Stick comes with its own wifi transmitter, allowing customers to connect the device to their Fire TV via Bluetooth.